PDA

View Full Version : Avoid These AP Connectors

displayfireworks1
09-15-2024, 07:10 PM
As Article of Pyrotechnic products become available to advanced users, we need to look how these fuse and Igniter connectors are developed. While attending the recent NFA convention I saw this variation in the usual male/female cake connectors. At first excited to see this I quickly become disappointed. This video is unlisted
Unlisted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35iuoM2MPfA

Salutecake
09-15-2024, 08:36 PM
So, did you find out where you put the e-match?

vegassalute
09-16-2024, 05:03 AM
Unless I'm missing something that's right in front of me, they appear to have taken a simple matter and overcomplicated it with that connector. I couldn't tell by the camera view, but it looked like the fire needs to travel a fair distance to go from black match to black match. Like your old Italian friend used to tell you, Dave, put lots of fire in there! Im not seeing lots of fire there. I may be missing some obvious detail...

BMoore
09-16-2024, 08:32 AM
I've stopped using any of the cake to cake connectors on both AP and 1.3 cakes. If you want to do it right, cut off the connectors and splice them together with some magic tape. If you want a reliable connection you need to have black match touching black match and these connectors just don't give you that assurance. In the amount of time spent fiddling with that one plug I could have chained 3-4 cakes the old fashioned way.

Salutecake
09-16-2024, 08:33 AM
What I'm seeing is a "quick way" to connect compound cakes, but not seeing a nice way to connect an e-match, unless I'm missing something.

vegassalute
09-16-2024, 08:47 AM
I've stopped using any of the cake to cake connectors on both AP and 1.3 cakes. If you want to do it right, cut off the connectors and splice them together with some magic tape. If you want a reliable connection you need to have black match touching black match and these connectors just don't give you that assurance. In the amount of time spent fiddling with that one plug I could have chained 3-4 cakes the old fashioned way.

That's where I'm coming from too, @BMoore. I can't get comfortable with nothing in between, I can see that fire not passing through. "Cut & bucket" is my go-to as well.

Salutecake
09-16-2024, 10:17 AM
I'll go with BMoore all the time.