PDA

View Full Version : East coast distributors

Critter1000
07-12-2024, 11:33 AM
Hello !!

Looking for some info on East Coast distributors I am in Massachusetts and want to expand my hobby in love of fireworks where I shoot in Maine. I am gathering up all the information and I’m going to buy the DVD from display fireworks one to get my ATF license in some of my research I know that you have to shoot the same day or have a magazine. The problem that I’m having right now is I can’t find any distributors close to me so I’m trying to weigh out the options whether or not it’s even worth getting it, those are you who don’t live near a distributor how do you go about getting your fireworks . I sent an email to a couple distributors asking them and getting some info they told me shipping is ridiculous so that’s why I’m just trying to weigh out the benefits of getting it or not getting it.

topshelfpyro
07-12-2024, 05:30 PM
Hello !!

Looking for some info on East Coast distributors I am in Massachusetts and want to expand my hobby in love of fireworks where I shoot in Maine. I am gathering up all the information and I’m going to buy the DVD from display fireworks one to get my ATF license in some of my research I know that you have to shoot the same day or have a magazine. The problem that I’m having right now is I can’t find any distributors close to me so I’m trying to weigh out the options whether or not it’s even worth getting it, those are you who don’t live near a distributor how do you go about getting your fireworks . I sent an email to a couple distributors asking them and getting some info they told me shipping is ridiculous so that’s why I’m just trying to weigh out the benefits of getting it or not getting it.

Unless your going to buy 20-30+ cases to make the cost of pallet shipping make sense it may not be worth the effort. Only you can decide that

BMoore
07-12-2024, 06:06 PM
Shipping isn’t a viable option anyway without a magazine. If using contingency storage it will need to be a reasonable distance, usually within 2 hours so you can return product if you cancel.

topshelfpyro
07-12-2024, 07:47 PM
Shipping isn’t a viable option anyway without a magazine. If using contingency storage it will need to be a reasonable distance, usually within 2 hours so you can return product if you cancel.

I completely missed that he was talking about 1.3. lol

Engineer Cat
07-14-2024, 01:27 AM
So I'm going to spin this into a different conversation. You said "expand my hobby" so I kind of want to explain what that meant to me since I did it.

I wanted to expand my hobby also and not only shoot 2 times or so a year. So I joined a Pyro club out this way in PA so I could shoot multiple times a year. (You have NHPA close to you so you might want to start with joining them). Anyway, a year after I joined the club I got my 54 so I could buy and shoot 1.3 at club events. I've had my 54 for 1 year now and I have not purchased or shot 1.3 at a club event because I'm to busy shooting pro shows with the company I ended up working with after I got my PGI cert. I got my PGI cert because I wanted to expand my hobby. The display company that was holding the PGI course saw that I knew what I was doing so I was able to get on one of their many crews as a trainee. A year later I've shot about 20 shows with them and have 8 more lined up for this year, so now I shoot pro shows, get paid to set them up and don't spend a dime on buying fireworks. To me, that is expanding my hobby. Unless you own a display company, this is a part time gig. I currently have no interest in owning a display company so I'm very happy with the direction I expanded my hobby in. My next step will be to get my shooter license so I can be the lead on shows we shoot in NJ. So that's my next steps to expand my hobby but I'm very happy with my current status. My 54 has no bearing on being able to work or shoot these shows, so that's where you have to decide if it's worth it for you.

I didn't even shoot my backyard show for 2024 because I had a pro shoot on July 3rd, 4th and 6th. So no time for backyard stuff.

Salutecake
07-14-2024, 08:04 PM
If you can't gent contingency storage somewher close by, as Gene said, you're probably might even have a hard time getting your type 54 permit. Check for clubs in the area you want to shoot, if you can find a club ask them.
Second choice for me would be to move up to 1.4 pro stuff.

BMoore
07-15-2024, 09:07 AM
There may be other paths forward such as traveling to open shoots, club events, etc. at locations closer to your distributor. Regardless though, Engineer Cat makes some good suggestions. Even if you had a nearby distributor, I would strongly encourage getting some hands on experience and mentoring with either a club or working with a display company. At a minimum, you will want to attend a shooter or PGI training. Dave's DVD teaches you the ins and outs of the ATF licensing process, but when it comes to actually handling regulated explosives there is no substitute for spending some time working with experienced pros. When you start conversing with other folks, preferably in your geographic area a lot of the questions, solutions and decision making factors start falling into place. As said earlier, you may find ways to enjoy working with 1.3 without even needing a personal license.

Critter1000
07-16-2024, 07:55 AM
I sent an email to NH PA. I’m waiting for an email back to join. Thank u

vegassalute
07-24-2024, 11:02 PM
So I'm going to spin this into a different conversation. You said "expand my hobby" so I kind of want to explain what that meant to me since I did it.

I wanted to expand my hobby also and not only shoot 2 times or so a year. So I joined a Pyro club out this way in PA so I could shoot multiple times a year. (You have NHPA close to you so you might want to start with joining them). Anyway, a year after I joined the club I got my 54 so I could buy and shoot 1.3 at club events. I've had my 54 for 1 year now and I have not purchased or shot 1.3 at a club event because I'm to busy shooting pro shows with the company I ended up working with after I got my PGI cert. I got my PGI cert because I wanted to expand my hobby. The display company that was holding the PGI course saw that I knew what I was doing so I was able to get on one of their many crews as a trainee. A year later I've shot about 20 shows with them and have 8 more lined up for this year, so now I shoot pro shows, get paid to set them up and don't spend a dime on buying fireworks. To me, that is expanding my hobby. Unless you own a display company, this is a part time gig. I currently have no interest in owning a display company so I'm very happy with the direction I expanded my hobby in. My next step will be to get my shooter license so I can be the lead on shows we shoot in NJ. So that's my next steps to expand my hobby but I'm very happy with my current status. My 54 has no bearing on being able to work or shoot these shows, so that's where you have to decide if it's worth it for you.

I didn't even shoot my backyard show for 2024 because I had a pro shoot on July 3rd, 4th and 6th. So no time for backyard stuff.

Cool story, Gene, thanks for sharing. Its a shame we cant squeeze more hours in a day. I feel your pain, but great story around your pyro evolution. Congrats and stay green!

vegassalute
07-24-2024, 11:04 PM
I sent an email to NH PA. I’m waiting for an email back to join. Thank u

Sometimes responses are delayed, but they'll follow up. NHPA is comprised of incredible people, you won't be disappointed if you end up proceeding and joining. If you're going to PGI, they'll likely be there. Ive been meaning to email to see if anyone from the club is going. If I connect with one of them, I'll ask them to look out for your correspondence, Critter. Stay Green!

Fire Art
07-26-2024, 01:31 PM
If you are able to get your own storage, Fire Art delivers to Mass and/or Southern NH every year, typically in late May/early June.