PDA

View Full Version : Let me see you type 4 magazines

Dork20001
07-10-2024, 10:25 AM
First off your* for the title
New here, I got my ATF license this year. Looking to see everyone's type 4 magazine to build my own [ hopefully]

mattfr12
07-17-2024, 07:14 PM
Shipping container with puck locks is about as easy as it’s gonna get. Clear out a spot put down some gravel so you have drainage. Throw the puck locks on, paint the interior with non sparking paint. Cover up any bare metal with epoxy or paint and you’re good to go. Call up the dept of mining part of the DEP. someone can do a pre visit so you don’t have to waste your time if it’s not gonna fly with them. The road needs a gate, and it helps if you have cameras or trail cams.

Salutecake
07-17-2024, 08:11 PM
So I think over the years Dave has put some pics and videos somewhere on this site about magazines, take a look around.

Perhaps you looked into already, but if you didn't like the above post state, you should probablly check with your state and atf offices first. On the ATF website you can find info on mag, the types of, what distances you need and so on. I am not sure but I would imagine the rules for having a mag vary from state to state.Once again as mentined above - for PA you need to get in touch with the DEP and ATF and it;s prbably better to coordiate with the 2 of them. I'm not sure on local rules but I think you only have to notify (not ask for permission) the local fire company that the mag has been approved and where it is at. But that;s PA. If you in another state???

gatorfan5049
07-17-2024, 09:13 PM
Type IV magazine in north central Florida here. Made from a Home Depot gang box and a plastic storage enclosure anchored to a 6" reinforced concrete slab. Embedded a 1/2" stainless steel rod in the concrete to chain the gang box to for extra security.

mattfr12
07-17-2024, 10:40 PM
I had to send a letter to each controlling agency. One being the state police that covered my area, whatever fire companies have jurisdiction or respond to that area, and the local police. The letter consisted of what and were was being stored and what to do or who to contact in the event of an emergency. But you are correct it’s not a permission more of a notification. Some twps and so on have ordinances against explosive mags but type 4 is fairly easy to comply with all things considered. A 20ft sea container with enough distance 500ft or sometimes less will get you 10klbs or shortage or close to it.

DEP does thier inspection and is who issues the permit, ATF goes off thier report does thier own inspection and puts the serial numbers on the box. Meet both agencies requirements your off to the races.

mattfr12
07-17-2024, 10:46 PM
From what I found it got easier the more I talked with DEP and ATF. They will walk you through this process they like people having magazines that use 1.3. They know you’re not gonna fill your garage up or do overnight storage. It’s one less thing on the worry list. Not only that but being stuck to purchase from one vendor at a time is hard to always get what you want. You can really take shows to the next level when you can get away from assortments. You start buying straight cases of peony or crossetts and so on. When it comes to matching shells and choreography it’s much easier.