PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the tops off cakes

Xtrememachines
06-03-2024, 09:06 PM
I see its common practice to remove the tops of cakes to reduce trash. When you have a lot of cakes on the same board is there any concern that the cake could ignite from the top down by embers landing in the tubes fom other cakes firing next to it?

PyroFL
06-03-2024, 09:40 PM
You should be 100% ok

Just make sure to use tape over your fuses if chain fusing to make sure those Don’t accidentally light your chain.

I use 3M green tape, you use for taping off on bricks you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot. If your poking cakes it’s always best to use U’haul brown tape, which they call Dave’s magic tape here on the board.

infante0216
06-06-2024, 02:26 PM
should be fine

displayfireworks1
06-07-2024, 10:49 AM
I would not do it on a 1.3 cake if it has an aluminized looking top cover or a finale type cake. On Consumer Fireworks should not be much of a deal. I personally find most of the after display litter to be various cardboard rings and cardboard inserts with clay plugs. Part of me enjoys seeing the litter the next day. LOL I try to gather up the wires from the electric match and lawnmower over the paper litter

Xtrememachines
06-07-2024, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Salutecake
06-09-2024, 08:14 AM
Same here Dave, litter and lawn mower!!! Although in the past couple of years, maybe my imagination, but it seems less. I do know a few yesrs back I had a lot of plastic in the shoot the next day

KDirk
06-09-2024, 02:20 PM
I remove the plastic caps placed on most consumer mortar shells now. That reduces cleanup and insures there isn't much of anything non-biodegradable left laying around after the show. I've cut the paper tops off consumer cakes as well to lessen the post shoot mess.

Zippster
06-11-2024, 11:13 AM
Same here Dave, litter and lawn mower!!! Although in the past couple of years, maybe my imagination, but it seems less. I do know a few yesrs back I had a lot of plastic in the shoot the next day

Mowing FTW! lol